This sweet/sour moist bread has a bright fresh taste and smells marvelous even when it's kneading. We love to have friends in for dessert and put small slices of this bread out on a pretty plate along with the leftover lemon curd.
1 Pound (small)
1 1/2 Pound (medium)
2 Pound (large)
|Old Fashioned rolled oats||1/2 cup||2/3 cup||1 cup|
|Milk||7/8 to 1 cup||1 1/8 to 1 3/8 cups||1 7/8 to 2 cups|
|Lemon curd||1/3 cup||1/2 cup||1 cup|
|Salt||1 teaspoon||1 1/2 teaspoons||2 teaspoons|
|Butter or Margarine||1 tablespoon||1 1/2 tablespoons||2 tablespoons|
|Bread Flour||2 1/8 cups||3 cups||4 1/4 cups|
|Red Star brand active dry yeast||1 1/2 teaspoons||2 teaspoons||2 1/2 teaspoons|
1. Place all ingredients in bread pan, using the least amount of liquid listed in the recipe. Select LIGHT CRUST setting. Press START.
2. Observe the dough as it kneads. After 5 to 10 minutes, if it appears dry and stiff or if your machine sounds as if it's straining to knead it, add more liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch.
3. After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from the pan, place on cake rack and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing.
Bake Cycle: Standard
OPTIONAL BAKE CYCLES: Sweet Bread, Rapid Bake
~~ Microwave Lemon Curd ~~
You can also purchase lemon curd in either the jam/jelly section of your market or the gourmet/imported foods area.
1/2 cup unsalted butter Finely grated zest of 3 lemons 1 cup sugar 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice 3 eggs
1. In a microwave-proof bowl, melt butter on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. In another bowl, combine sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and fresh lemon juice; blend with a wire whisk.
3. Slowly whisk in the hot melted butter.
4. Microwave on HIGH 3 to 4 minutes until thickened, whisking well after each minute.
5. Pour into a clean glass jar and store briefly in the refrigerator or pour into sterilized jars and seal.
From: THE BREAD MACHINE MAGIC BOOK OF HELPFUL HINTS, (page 160) by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway, St. Martin's Griffin. ©
HOME PAGE ~~ BOOKS ~~ ORDERING ~~ THE
PANTRY ~~ PROBLEMS ~~ WEBSITES
E-mail to BREAD MACHINE MAGIC
Copyright © L & L Bakers, 1998. All Rights Reserved.