This chewy loaf is Lois's favorite. When she tried it for
the first time, she exclaimed, "Now this is what bread should taste
(Note: In the Zojirushi, we had better results when we baked it on the Regular cycle rather than on the French Bread Cycle)
1 Pound (small)
1 1/2 Pound (medium)
2 Pound (large)
|Water||7/8 to 1 cup||1 1/8 to 1 1/4 cups||1 5/8 to 1 3/4 cups|
|Salt||1 teaspoon||1 1/2 teaspoons||2 teaspoons|
|Butter or Margarine||1 teaspoon||1 1/2 teaspoons||2 teaspoons|
|Sugar||1 teaspoon||1 1/2 teaspoons||2 teaspoons|
|Bread Flour||2 cups||3 cups||4 cups|
|Red Star brand active dry yeast||1 1/2 teaspoons||2 teaspoons||2 1/2 teaspoons|
1. Place all ingredients in bread pan using the least amount of liquid listed in the recipe. Select Medium Crust setting. Press Start.
2. Observe the dough as it kneads. After 5 to 10 minutes, if it appears dry and stiff or if your machine sounds as if it's straining to knead, add more liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch.
3. After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on cake rack and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.
BAKE CYCLE: Standard
OPTIONAL BAKE CYCLE: French Bread/Delayed Timer/Rapid Bake
1. Place dough ingredients in bread pan, select Dough setting, and press Start.
2. When the dough has risen long enough, the machine will beep. Turn off bread machine, remove bread pan, and turn out dough onto a lightly floured countertop or cutting board. Shape dough into a 15-inch log. Sprinkle a cookie sheet with cornmeal. Place dough on cookie sheet and brush with some olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. Remove from refrigerator, uncover, let stand at room temperature one hour. Make 3 diagonal cuts with a sharp knife.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on cake rack.
Bake Cycle: Dough
From: THE BREAD MACHINE MAGIC BOOK OF HELPFUL HINTS, 2nd rev. edition (page 176) by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway, St. Martin's Griffin. ©
HOME PAGE ~~ BOOKS ~~ ORDERING ~~ THE
PANTRY ~~ PROBLEMS ~~ WEBSITES
E-mail to BREAD MACHINE MAGIC
Copyright © L & L Bakers, 1999. All Rights Reserved.